How should we confront the threat that the Trump administration and the Republican controlled Congress pose to the achievements and values of the American left? How can the left defend hard-won gains while building a viable opposition against Trumpism in the long term?
Dissent editors and contributors debated how the left can defeat Trumpism. Featuring:
- Bhaskar Sunkara is editor and publisher of Jacobin magazine.
- Nancy Fraser is a professor of philosophy and politics at The New School for Social Research and author, most recently, of Fortunes of Feminism: From State-Managed Capitalism to Neoliberal Crisis.
- Paul Berman is author of The Flight of the Intellectuals, A Tale of Two Utopias, and a columnist for Tablet magazine.
- Robert Master is co-chair of the New York State Working Families Party and political director for District 1 of the Communication Workers of America.
- Deva Woodly is assistant professor of political science at The New School and author, most recently, of The Politics of Common Sense: How Social Movements Use Public Discourse to Change Politics and Win Acceptance.
- Moderated by Michael Kazin, editor of Dissent and author most recently of War Against War: The American Fight for Peace, 1914-1918.
Also see David Maddy’s article Public Seminar post entitled “Trumpism: How Should the Left Respond?” that correlates to this debate.
*Sponsored by the Heilbroner Center for Capitalism Studies, The New School and Dissent Magazine