Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- 2017-18 is set to be one of the worst flu seasons in recent history. Natalia cited John M. Barry’s work at Smithsonian Magazine and in his book The Great Influenza. She also cited Derek Beres’ essay about homeopathy in Public Seminar.
- The Cleveland Indians will abandon the controversial Chief Wahoo logo next year. Natalia cited Andrew McGregor’s Washington Post piece on athletic “safe spaces” for conservative politics as well as Philip Deloria’s book Playing Indian. Niki referenced the National Coalition of American Indians video “Proud to Be.”
- Lili Loofbourow’s essay on female pain, “The Female Price of Male Pleasure,” went viral. Natalia cited a Healthline article about the “husband stitch” as well as John D’Emilio and Estelle Freedman’s book Intimate Matters.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Neil discussed the creation of a new literary award, the Staunch Book Prize.
- Natalia commented on Dr. Jen Gunter’s medical blog, in particular her account of Gwyneth Paltrow’s New York City event.
- Niki shared this Guardian article about the bloodthirsty history of the nature documentary.