In this episode, Natalia, Niki, and Neil discuss a cockfighting ban in Puerto Rico, Russia’s Olympic ban for doping its athletes, and the dawn of a new era in fonts.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- The U.S. has enacted a ban on cockfighting in Puerto Rico. Neil cited anthropologist Clifford Geertz’s classic text on cockfighting in Bali.
- Due to doping violations, Russia has been banned from competing in the Olympics for the next four years . Natalia referred to this Smithsonian article on preventative measures against doping. Niki mentioned our previous segment on so-called “sex testing” and athletic competition in Episode 179.
- After a decade of minimalism, ornate fonts are making a comeback. Neil referred to this article about changes to the Helvetica font.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia discussed Olga Khazan’s Atlantic article, “Is it Weird to Wear Leggings at Work?”
- Neil recommended this New York Times Magazine feature, “The Twenty-Five Rooms that Influence the Way We Design.”
- Niki shared Max Ufberg’s Medium article, “The Decade We Marched For Our Lives.”